If you haven’t been to your local library in a while, you’re missing tons of opportunities for free entertainment. Beyond allowing you to borrow physical copies of books, most libraries have adapted to modern technology. They offer more services than ever that benefit the whole community. If you find yourself struggling to stave off boredom, perhaps it’s time to take a trip to your local branch.
Here are the best services to check out (besides books!) next time you head to the library.
- Ebook downloads: Use your library card with the OverDrive app to borrow ebooks and audiobooks on your tablet or mobile phone.
- Music and movie rentals: If you can’t find that movie you’ve been dying to watch on Netflix, public libraries offer DVD, Blu-Ray, and CD rentals.
- Movie streaming: Streamline streaming. Download the Kanopy app to access any of the 26,000 titles available.
- Books by mail: If you are homebound or unable to go to the library for health reasons, many now offer delivery programs. Sign up and have books delivered to you through the mail.
- Activities for kids: Libraries are a great place to make precious memories with your grandkids. You’ll also help them enjoy a lifelong love of reading. Plus, they can join fun activities like craft workshops and puppet shows.
- Movie nights: Catch classics, popular new releases, and kid-friendly favorites at your library’s movie night.
- Online resources: Connect to the internet with library computers. By doing so, you can also read research databases, newspaper articles, and magazines.
- Technology classes: Want to learn about coding, photoshop, and more? Brush up your tech skills with free classes. Over 90% of public libraries in the United States offer classes.
- Career assistance: Just because you’re a senior doesn’t mean you’re not working. If you’re job searching, you can get resume help and career advice at the library.
- Citizenship classes: If you’re seeking American citizenship, the library is a great place to start.
- Free Wi-Fi: What’s not to love about being able to connect to free Wi-Fi?
- Museum admission passes: Some libraries allow guests to check out admission passes to different museums.
- Zoo admission passes: Similar to the museum admission program, some libraries offer zoo admission passes.
- Language programs: Your library card grants you access to Mango. Mango gives you access to online courses in more than 70 languages.
- Meeting spaces: If you need a quiet place for a business meeting or book club get together, try the library! Many libraries allow you to reserve a private room.