When someone you love is living in an assisted living facility, spending time with them often feels like a gift. However, perhaps you want the person to know you’re thinking about them. In this case, a care package can be a wonderful reminder.
Care packages can include many things, familiarizing yourself with the person’s schedule and needs can help you narrow down what you want to include. Your loved ones will certainly appreciate your thoughtfulness!
Here are some items in the personal care, activity, and snack categories. Try one or two of the following items if you need inspiration when you’re making a care package!
- Assorted coffees and teas. If your loved one is a coffee connoisseur, they’ll probably appreciate this pick-me-up. Nothing says “thinking of you” like a hand-selected roast or tea blend.
- An album of uplifting or calming music. If CDs are too much a thing of the past, consider a personalized playlist instead.
- A warm bathrobe. Who doesn’t love to feel warm and cozy once the weather gets chilly?
- Lip balm. Help a loved one stave off cracked, painful lips!
- Lotion. Older skin is dryer and more delicate. You can never have enough lotion, especially when cold weather makes skin even more prone to dryness.
- Playing cards or board games. These are a great way to stay entertained and socialize.
- Crossword, word search, or sudoku puzzles. If your loved one prefers solo entertainment, try one of these. Bonus: They help exercise improve cognitive functioning.
- Socks. Mature adults tend to get cold more easily. Look for socks with grippy bottoms, which can help prevent dangerous falls.
- Tasty snacks. Whether you bake a beloved batch of cookies or send some store-bought favorites, these are sure to brighten someone’s day.
If you were going to receive a care package from someone you love, what one item would you definitely want to be in it? Let us know in the comments below.